Yoram Yasur Blume: How to avoid catching a cold
Seasonal changes constantly affect our health, especially in the arrival of cold and wet months, as the chances of catching a cold increase. Yoram Yasur Blume: The cold is a very common and mild disease that most people, in any corner of the planet, suffer more than once a year, which can also be caused by a virus infection. The contagion occurs when the common cold virus enters our body and cannot be combated by the body’s immune system. To prevent a cold, you should avoid contact with that virus. However, every day we are in constant contact with all kinds of bacteria and viruses, making more difficult the task of preventing their transmission.
In closed sites with large conglomerations of people, either through coughing or sneezing, the cold pathogen is spread from person to person. Actually, it can even be attached to objects and through physical contact, it can easily be passed from your hands to your mouth or nose, so it is very difficult to isolate yourself from the possibility of contagion. Other ways in what you easily get a virus can be things that you do every day such as shaking hands, grabbing the safety bars on the bus or subway, touching the doorknob in a public place or using a public toilet.
Therefore, to avoid a cold, our level of personal hygiene is very important. Yoram Yasur Blume: Bringing greater importance to washing hands, especially if we are in a public place and there is a greater chance of contracting it. Even so, every day we keep in contact with different types of viruses and bacteria, so it is advisable, in order to prevent a cold, strengthen our immune system. The immune system is the natural defense mechanism that our body has that helps to protect it against infections. Without it, we would be exposed to the harmful influences of the environment in which we live.
Yoram Yasur Blume explains, that to improve our immune system, it is not necessary to take medications or some food supplements, we can achieve it naturally by carrying out the following practices:
- Carrying a healthy, varied and balanced diet with a high fruit content every day.
- Ingest vitamin C, which turns out to be healthier to obtain through food than from medicines.
- Avoid sedentary lifestyle.
- Do moderate exercise on a regular basis or practice a sport. Although you should know that excess exercise has adverse effects on our immune system.
- Avoid prolonged stress, it weakens our immune defenses.
- The need to sleep is different for each person, but it is best to sleep between 7 and 9 hours a day.
Other tips to avoid getting a cold as much as possible are:
- Wash your hands. Colds get contagious through direct contact so it is not enough with wetting your hands and drying them quickly, you must rub them well with soap and at least for 20 seconds before removing the soap.
- Do not touch your face. The eyes, nose, and mouth are the most sensitive and prone areas for the entrance of harmful organisms to our body.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol. Smokers are more likely to catch a cold as well as aggravate their symptoms. On the other hand, alcohol weakens the immune system that is responsible for protecting your body, dehydrates your body and promotes the appearance of infections.