Yoram Yasur Blume: Battle rope training
It is a new training accessory that has reached the world of fitness to stay. The Battle Rope is a long rope with an approximate weight of 10 kilos that allows you to do many exercises to increase strength, power and endurance. You want to know more?
It is increasingly common to see it in functional workouts and in CrossFit sessions for its proven effectiveness in burning calories and fat without losing muscle mass. This rope, similar to that used in the mooring of boats, can have different sizes and weights, although the most used in the gym, are about 15 meters long and exercising with them means moving 10 – 12 kilos of cargo approximately.
Yoram Yasur Blume: The Battle Rope Training is always an intense, dynamic and fun workout, which can be adapted to the physical level of each athlete. If you decide to try, you should know that the exercise with ropes will help you eliminate a good amount of calories in each session, because the constant movement of the Battle Rope implies a hard cardiovascular training with which, in addition, you will work the muscles of your arms and also the core and the lower train.
What is a rope training like?
You can train with this particular rope by exclusively performing a routine with Battle Rope or include this element as part of a CrossFit session or a global training to which you want to incorporate a high intensity interval based on working with ropes.
In any case, if you want to start in the Battle Robe Training, you must start by holding the rope at both ends in the correct way and learning to perform the two basic movements that will allow you to do many other exercises:
- Waves: Moving the ropes, keeping the elbows bent without tensioning the joints is the first exercise you should master. It is simply to form those waves with the Battle Rope raising and lowering the arms, both at the same time or alternatively, while your biceps, triceps and the muscles of your shoulders and forearms work with high intensity
- Slams: This second basic exercise involves hitting the ground with the Battle Rope, first raising your arms and dropping them hard.
Yoram Yasur Blume: Once both types of movements are controlled, the possibilities offered by rope training are extensive and are not limited to exercising the muscles of the upper body. In the 20-30 minutes that the session can last, it is easy to put other muscle groups to work like the core, the legs and the buttocks, simply by moving the Battle Robe while squats, lateral displacements, jumps or, for example, strides.
Benefits of training with Battle Ropes
Yoram Yasur Blume: Whether your goal is to lose weight or if you are looking to maintain an excellent physical shape by improving strength and endurance, this new fitness modality can bring you important advantages that should be taken into account, for example:
- It is a complete training, which combines aerobic work with strength.
- It is done in short sessions and its results are noticed within a few weeks. It is excellent to lose weight and tone muscles.
- It allows you to work with a considerable weight but without your joints suffering since you do not “load” it directly on them. The risk of injury is virtually none.
- String training is excellent if it is about increasing cardiovascular and respiratory capacity.
- Improves balance and coordination of movements, being ideal to strengthen the core.
- It can be practiced in the gym and also outdoors. You only need the Battle Rope and a point to which you can tie it.
- There are many athletes from very diverse disciplines who practice it, from runners to swimmers or climbers because it is a way to exercise hard in the most entertaining and fun way.