Yoram Yasur Blume: How to regain lost muscle mass
An injury, illness, or work reason can leave you exercising for a long time. In that case, most likely, your body suffers and you notice a certain loss of muscle mass. It should not be overlooked that the muscles are responsible for generating force and movement in the body, both in internal organs such as the heart, and externally (arms and legs). To know how to recover the lost muscle mass, you just have to follow the advice you will find in this article.
Why does muscle loss occur?
If you have lost muscle, it may be due to different causes. There are several aspects that are involved in the loss of muscle mass:
- Bad nutrition: The musculature is composed mainly of proteins, especially amino acids, hence if you cannot provide the body with the correct amount of protein, the body will lose muscle.
- Little training: Once you accustom the body to physical effort, the moment you stop training there will be a loss of muscle mass. It can also occur when the intensity of the sessions is reduced or the physical work is not completely correct.
- Aging: The maximum level of muscle development takes place between the ages of 22 and 27. Once this period is over, if we do not continue with the training and a correct diet, the body will gradually lose muscle mass, making recovery increasingly difficult.
- Diseases: Certain ailments and diseases can also lead to this loss.
Keys to recover muscle
Yoram Yasur Blume: In addition to asking your personal trainer what the best exercises are to avoid losing muscle mass if you are injured, it is important that you consider other factors in your weekly training. Thus, in order to recover the lost muscle mass after an injury, it is therefore necessary to pay attention to two essential factors, such as training and diet.
- Plan the sessions: it is not enough to go to the gym and improvise the session. You have to have a progressive training plan to be effective. Being constant in physical work, the results will not take long, so three times a week it will be enough to do your exercises to recover the lost muscle mass.
- Focus on the parts that worry you the most: Yoram Yasur Blume: you can concentrate your work on those areas that have suffered the most loss, such as arms, back, men or legs, alternating muscle groups.
- Load adapted to your state: after a period of inactivity it will be practically how to start from nothing in your attempt to recover muscle mass. You have to go little by little, without rushing. Trying to do what you did before would hurt the injury. If you used to lift 50 kilos of shoulders before, possibly now you can only handle 15 or 20.
- Rest of the muscles: as important as the exercises to recover the lost muscle mass is also rest. After exercising, they need a break to recover and not suffer new injuries.
Also, we indicate some tips for a correct diet to recover muscle progressively:
- Increase calorie intake: to meet the demand of muscles for recovery, it is important to increase caloric intake. For this you must adopt a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, cereals and lean protein.
- High-quality protein: Yoram Yasur Blume: Muscles are primarily made up of protein. In order to regain lost muscle mass after injury, you must eat the right amount of protein food. The WHO recommends approximately 1 gram per kilogram of weight in adults with an active life. You can slightly increase this amount at specific times like a muscle recovery program, but do not overdo it or lengthen it too much, or you will excessively punish your kidney system, which must eliminate excess proteins that you have not been able to absorb.
- Fats in their right measure: although they should not be exceeded with them, healthy fats should also be consumed in the attempt to recover muscle mass, such as olive oil, avocados or salmon.
- Meal distribution: try to divide the meals into 5 daily doses. This way you will be able to maintain a stable glucose level in the body, which will guarantee energy during the day.